Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Late Night Thinking

Melancholy were the sounds on a winter's night.
-Virginia Woolf

Melancholy.

It's one of my favorite words. Just the ring of it. Evokes images.

It's a favorite mood too. Is that weird? To enjoy being melancholy? Most likely, my Dear Little Blog, you are correct. It's not entirely normal.

But I think there's a difference between being depressed and sad, and being melancholy.

Sad: There's a sense of hurtfulness about it. Pain. Palpable pain.

On the other hand, a melancholic attitude is one of pensiveness. Pondering. It's a more productive attitude than sadness or depression. One of Dictionary.com's definition for this feeling- sober thoughtfulness. 

Why do I bring this up, you ask? Well DLB, I've broken out the mellow jazz and deep somber attitude, and I feel as if it should be a rainy day outside. The kind of day where you just want to sit on a window seat and stare out of the dripping pane. Bare trees of winter waving outside, stripped of all signs of life by the cold winds.

Melancholy.

What's that? Oh, no. No I'm fine, nothing to be worried about. As I said, I enjoy this feeling. And it won't last. My guess is that it'll be gone by tomorrow. But for tonight..

I'll savor the sensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment