Pages

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Gift of a Friend

Ever since I was little, I've loved reading. Any kind of book I can get my hands on, I'll greedily pore over for hours on end. I often got/get in trouble for reading when I should be doing other things. There's just something about immersing yourself in another life and time, and becoming completely engrossed with their exciting adventures. Movies are the same way, but I think books do it better. Over the past couple days I've been reading more than I have for a while, and got reminded about something that I realize every time I get caught up in a book. In each novel, at least the good ones, the protagonist has a host of characters that support them and help them in the travels or whatever they point of the story. Many times before the end of the book, you see these characters passing out of the story, leaving behind friendships and memories. And of course with the end of the book, I always wonder if they ever see these people again, if they ever get together and talk about the good times and make some more, or if they'll be seperated forever and all they have are memories. It always makes me sad to consider the latter. I mean who think its great to say goodbye to people you come to care about.
And then I remember, that even though its a sad event and no one ever looks forward to it, it makes you cherish the times with those people even more. Those memories that you have will become some of your favorite things to think and talk about. Each person that becomes a part of our lives in special ways change us some for the good, some for the worse. But we need every one of them to reach where we're heading, who we're gonna become.

No comments:

Post a Comment