Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Stress or excitement?

So I kinda forgot just how stressful moving is, especially when you're moving out on your own and have to get all the details in place. But at the same time, it's quite exciting and very empowering as I'm making decisions on my own (although I'm not very good at that) and figuring out what I'm doing with my life.
The most recent mind-wrestling concerned the issue of whether to buy a "new" car and start building my credit or sticking with one of the cars we already have and save my money. I tell you if I had just been given the second option right away, I would've had no qualms with doing that. But being young and a guy, having test driven a couple nice used cars and getting pretty excited about getting one, having to revert back to the old cars is not so appealing. Now I know this is very immature and prideful and not a very good reason for buying a new car. But it's a human trait and I'm trying very hard to get over it. I know the smart, finacially sound decision would be to stick with the "clunker" and I'm okay with that now. It's funny cause this reminds me of my last post and what I had discovered there. I think Heavenly Father's trying to teach me that I have something that I need help with.
Let me end with a quote that my Aunt Julie told me that really reminded me of how the world works and what the smart options are:
"If you are willing to live like no one else now, than in a few years you'll be able to live like no one else." Words to live by.

2 comments:

  1. Personally I think some forms of earning credit are highly overrated. I like one form I heard on a U of U seminar on PBS once. The recommendation was to take out a loan from a financial institution in order to purchase a CD from the same institution. You pay back the loan within the agreed upon time frame, losing only a couple of interest points along the way, but "building credit." I think that beats the old advice of charging things to grow credit by a long shot. Leaves more money in your pocket and keeps you free from the temptation of easy money that can lead to crushing debt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, yea that does sound like a really good method! I'll have to check that out, thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete