Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

Road trip!



In all honesty, I meant to make an entry each night after I stopped at a hotel to break it up a little bit, but I was extremely tired both times I stopped and didn't really feel like it. So now I'll recount the whole thing all at once and try not to get too long winded.
What a trip! I could probably end with that. But I won't. In all, it took me three full days, over 2100 miles: North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, Wyoming and of course Utah. People told me both before and after the trip that they couldn't believe that I did it all on my own. And I can understand, I kind of thought the same way before I started. But once I got into it, I had a blast! Sure it was a tad lonesome, but my Ipod and sense of adventure made it so much better.
I made it all the way to Missouri on the first day, surprising even myself. That part of the country was in Spring mode, and there were trees on either side of me for the most part of that day. It reminded me of home, and it almost didn't feel like I even left North Carolina. Very good day scenery wise, just beautiful, rolling country everywhere you looked. It was my first time ever being in St. Louis and I would definitely like to go back! The Arch was cool to look at, and it just looks like it's a happenin place to be. So someday...
Next day was a looooonng one! Most of it was spent driving across and up Missouri and across Nebraska. Missouri wasn't to bad but Nebraska... no offense to anyone from Nebraska (although you might agree with me) it is an extremely boring state to drive through. It was startling at first to see the flatness and the emptiness but then, it got old. And the wind! As soon as I entered the state it never stopped blowing, and it was no little breeze. It never stopped until I got to Utah. Thank goodness for the loads of songs on my Ipod! Ended the day at a little town in the Nebraska panhandle called Sidney, only about 30 or so miles from the Wyoming state line.
Last day! Wyoming was a little better than Nebraska. There were at least some mountains and there was a kind of "wild west" feel to everything which I loved. But being this close to the end, I was just ready for it to be done. Only about 8 hours of driving that day, compared to the 12-13 hours the other two. Snow! There was snow on and off from Nebraska to Utah! It's been beautiful weather in NC so it felt like I had traveled back a couple seasons. But I safely made it to Utah, to my aunt and uncle's house in South Jordan, and now am sitting in the BYU library in Provo, reveling in the fact that I am back. It feels good! We'll see how life goes from here..

No comments:

Post a Comment